Background

Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Tribute to My Husband

On August 23rd Robert and I celebrated 3 years of marriage. I can't believe it has been 3 years already. I love him more today than I did 3 years ago when we said our "I do's". In October it will be 4 years of being together. We met officially at his son, Nicholas' football game. When he asked me out the first time, I told him no. I wasn't interested in dating anyone at the time (funny how that seems to be when God brings someone into your life). Well, Robert went on with his life and God started to work in mine. I couldn't shake thoughts about this man that had asked me out. What is he like? Is he a good man? What kind of father is he? God just would not let me move on. So, about 1 week later I asked a mutual accquaintance to give Robert my cell number and tell him to call me. He later told me that he just about didn't (thank you God he did). I asked him if the offer still stood, he said yes and the rest is history.

For those who know Robert, he is a quiet man (at least until you get to know him), but a strong man. I don't just mean physical strength, I am referring to strength of character and spiritual strength. He is not one to speak up in a crowd of people, but if he does, you better listen. One of the things I love about him is that he did not let his humble beginnings and lack of strong positive examples keep him from becoming a successful person. Instead it motivated him to be better. He is hard working and determined. He is an amazing husband, he is kind and thoughtful. He is faithful and very willing to put of with my stubborness (well, most of the time). He is a leader and a great man of God.

But, one of the things that I love most about Robert is that he is an amazing father. That is one of the first things I learned about him. I could see it in his relationship with his son. I know that at times, especially here lately, that Robert feels that he has let Nicholas down and maybe messed up somewhere; but I know that he hasn't. I believe the foundations are there and I can see the respect he has for his father even though he doesn't always show it. Watching Robert with Brandon and Abby is so much fun. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to "start over" or not when we first started talking about having kids. I know he quickly changed his mind though. I love the relationship he has with each child, modeling for Brandon how to be a man of God and a loving husband and modeling for Abby what to look for in a man. I love watching him learn how to raise a little girl, and how he helped a little girl who wasn't too fond of men grow comfortable with him. She now has him wrapped around her little finger. I love that he was willing to make the sacrifice and stay at home with them while we all got settled here in Valdosta. I know it is hard for a hard working man to stay at home with two rambunctious kids. I know he feels like he isn't contributing anything. I also know that he will never know that tremendous impact he had on them this summer and that they are stronger and better for it. So thank you Robert, the investment in your children contributes more than any job ever could!

I love you Robert, you are my best friend and companion through life. I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for you. Thank you for all you do, for your patience and your love. Thank you for giving me a second chance to get to know you! I thank God every day that He didn't let me pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment