Background

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Sunshine

Most of you know the song "You Are My Sunshine," every night at bedtime Abby and I sing that song together. It is something that I had started when both kids first came to us and had actually gotten out of the habit of doing for awhile. Until, Abby started asking me to sing it again. For awhile that song was very hard to sing because it ends with "Please don't take my sunshine away;" there were so many ups and downs during this process and that particular line was my plea, my prayer and my heart's cry.


For those who know her personally, Abby is my little sunshine. There is no doubt that she is mommy's girl and she is so full of personality that she lights up any room she walks into.  She is a vivacious and precocious two year old. I know I am biased, but I have never met a two year old who can think outside of the box. She is very creative, imaginative, independent and stubborn. She loves to talk and sing (she even makes up her own songs). She is a challenge at times because she is so slick (according to her daddy) and can come back at you with stuff that makes you stop and think.


I was actually surprised when she started to ask me to sing this song again because I honestly thought she didn't remember it. I know she knows what it means on the deeper level, she knows that she is my sunshine when we sing. For example, we were leaving a park one day and I was just a little bit ahead of Robert and the kids. She started yelling, "Mommy, don't leave me!" I turned and stopped and said, "I could never leave you." She looked at me and said, "Cause I am your sunshine!" So, she knows.


She lights up my world and fills it with joy. She is such an amazing little girl. She will never know how I much I love her and how much she and Brandon changed my life for the better. I thank God that I have the privilege to try and be her mother. I pray that I love her the way she needs to be loved, direct her in the way that she needs to go and that I can be the mother she needs be to be. My prayer is that she grows up to be a strong, vibrant woman of God.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know dear, how much I love you,
Please don't take my sunshine away."

Next post is coming soon, all about My Little Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment